View Single Post
Old 13 Jan 2011, 13:01 (Ref:2815232)   #258
MG Rover Sport
Veteran

England
MG Rover Sport should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Even though we already know the chassis number sequence for the TWR built touring and rally cars, I have just unearthed the sequence for the separate Austin Rover Motorsport built cars.

Without giving away too much detail - as there are some dodgy / unscrupulous people out there! - I will simply state that they mention the fact that the car was built by Austin Rover Motorsport for rallying, followed by an individual sequential number, and then finishing off with either Group 2 or Group A depending on their original specification as built.

My thoughts are that this was used on the following non-TWR built cars : A377 VUK, A379 VUK, A683 NJO, A478 WOE, A479 WOE and A480 WOE.

Talking of A379 VUK I'm not sure if you know but there were two totally separate cars to have carried this registration number...

a) TWR #006 used A379 VUK momentarily for the 1984 National Breakdown Rally on 17 / 18 February in Tom Walkinshaw / John Davenport's hands.

b) However, the 'real' A379 VUK was initially built for the 1983 Paris-Peking Rally (which was subsequently cancelled!). '379' was then used on the 1983 Austin Rover Rallysprint (along with it's sister car A377 VUK), and then appeared as part of the Austin Rover Middle East Rally Team that entered the 1984 Oman and Dubai Rallies. It was then sold as part of the Ian 'Del' Lines deal in 1985.

The 'real' A379 VUK has been used fairly regularly on single venue rallies and hillclimbs for the last few years. You can clearly see the differently located fuel fillers in the rear quarter windows - specifically for filling the 60 gallon tank that the car was built with for the proposed 1983 Paris-Peking Rally.

A379 VUK can be seen below on the 2002 Regency Stages Rally and clearly shows the fuel filler located in the rear quarter window. On the rear view of the car you can also see the exhaust exiting through the rear valence - I guess this was to improve ground clearance for it's previous outings in Oman and Dubai, but I could be wrong?...

(These photos have been internet sourced, so full credit to the unknown original photographer. If it is a problem, I am happy to remove them upon request!)