View Single Post
Old 27 Jan 2011, 23:18 (Ref:2821522)   #265
MG Rover Sport
Veteran

England
MG Rover Sport should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by KA View Post
Can't remember whether this has been raised before, but a really anoraky question about the lighting setup on the Computervision cars, prompted by the pics on the Irish forum that David linked to...

Looking at the pics, the Computervision cars had the normal rectangular SD1 headlights replaced by paired round ones (Did production SD1s for the USA have twin round lights?), supplemented by 4 spots in various configurations, depending on the event. Oddly enough, the two cars on the Manx both reverted to the standard SD1 headlights. Any idea why?

Additionally, a small observation based on the pics- Looking at the spotlamp covers on the cars, the team used Cibie lamps- except for Stuart's car on the Manx and RAC which appear to have used Lucas.

Driver preference, or did Stuart have a personal sponsorship deal that caused the change?
Good evening KA,

In response to your earlier question, I think I may have just confimed my beliefs regarding your second question! I didn't say anything previously, as I wasn't 100% sure.

For your first question, you are indeed quite correct, the Rover SD1 was indeed sold in the States with the twin circular headlamp setup that the rallycars adopted - well, for most of the time anyway. I'm not sure why the rectangular lamps weren't used in the States - possibly a legal matter related to their strict laws involving motor vehicles? - but I think for rallying there was more scope to improve the quality of the round lamps than there was the standard lamps.

For your second question - and this is the part that I wasn't 100% sure about! - I have just found a 1985 Manx Rally preview clipping from the 11 September 1985 issue of Motoring News, in which it states...

Quote:
"TWR will run conventional Rover headlights this time to increase the maximum speed and the team's attention to detail combined with Pond's unrivalled Manx expertise should be enough to bring the Championship to Kidlington."
...so there you have it, the standard lights were refitted for the Manx to increase the cars maximum speed! Although I'm sure that it cannot have made a masive difference, but I suppose it all help when added together!