View Single Post
Old 28 Jan 2011, 22:00 (Ref:2822049)   #266
MG Rover Sport
Veteran

England
MG Rover Sport should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Good evening gents!

I have just returned from my great quest to solve one of the biggest rallying related mysteries of this thread! Oh yes indeedy everyone, I have truely returned with what can be quite categorically classed as the Group A Rover Vitesse Rallying Holy Grail!

The following clipping is taken from the 22 September 1983 issue of Autosport magazine, and in particular their post-1983 Rothmans Manx International Rally report!

Before you read it, just remind yourself of the facts that...

(A) The very first rally car TWR 006 : FJO 450Y debuted on the 1983 Criterium Lucien Bianchi in Belguim on 2-4 September driven by Tom Walkinshaw (himself) / John Davenport - their rally ended whilst lying 8th Overall when they crashed badly damaging the nearside rear quarter!

(B) The second outing of the same very first rally car TWR 006 : FJO 450Y came a mere TWO WEEKS LATER on the 1983 Rothmans Manx International Rally on 15-17 September driven by Tony Pond / Rob Arthur, and it has never really been known whether the car was 'simply' repaired with new panelwork, including floor, sill, door, etc or whether it was actually reshelled? Either way, for the team to honour it's entry and make an appearance on the Isle of Man in such a short time is testament to the skilll and dedication of the TWR team!

Now read the following article, paying particular attention to the second sentence! Bare in mind that this was written a couple of days after the rally took place, and I have every faith in the fact that the Autosport team covering the event would have actually taken the time to ask TWR personnel about the new car, leading to the following summary being written - I rest my case!...