Old 24 Apr 2011, 09:27 (Ref:2868891)   #5
mattsmith
Rookie

England
Somerset
mattsmith should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gingertom View Post
Hi, I am writing a feature about spectator safety at UK motorsport events for my journalism degree and I'd be really grateful if some of you could take a couple of minutes to answer a few brief questions:

1. When attending any motorsport event (track, rally, etc) do you feel adequately protected as a spectator?

2. What more measures do you think could be taken to further protect spectators from on-track incidents?

3. Would further safety measures spoil your enjoyment of watching the racing?

4. Is it a good thing that motorsport has a reputation for danger, even for spectators? Is that part of the attraction?

5. Have you ever been injured yourself, or witnessed someone else being injured, at a motorsport event? If so, what happened and how did you feel?

If you happen to have any pictures that you have taken of any incidents like this and you wouldn't mind me using them (I will credit you as the owner of them) that would also be a great help.

Thanks.
1. This very much depends on the track. I chose to watch from places where there is a good chance of being safe. The majority of tracks have adequate protection of areas that the majority of spectators use.

2. Very little extra needs to be done in my opinion. I think that some of the more risky areas should be closed off when larger crowds are expected to reduce the chances of someone being there in the unlikely situation that a crash happens. I'm really thinking of areas like Paddock Hill behind the vehicle gate where the MR2 ended up at Brands Hatch and directly along the barriers on the unfenced straights at Castle Combe.

3. It again depends on the measures. Extra fencing would be annoying but not the end of the world. Moving spectators four miles away for the track like at some F1 tracks would be bad. Building a very high wall all the way around the track would make it safe but kill off spectating.

4. It's probably not good but the danger isn't as bad as the reputation makes out. Spectator deaths are rare (I can't remember the last one. Does anyone know when?)

5. The only injury I've seen at circuits is people twisting ankles when they slip down spectator banks (Especially drivers girlfriends in high heels ). Most of the big accidents I've seen have been contained by fencing or in areas where people don't usually stand.