View Single Post
Old 4 Jun 2011, 00:06 (Ref:2890835)   #80
AGD
Veteran

AGD should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridAGD should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by NaBUru38 View Post
Why on earth will they give a drivers title??? Endurance racing is a team sport!!! No teams titles is fine to me, they belong to continental championships.
I tend to agree. On the other hand, I think most sports car fans don't really focus too much on drivers championships in the endurance ranks. Maybe I'm wrong on that.

It does pose an interesting question though. Peugeot and Audi both have 9 factory drivers each plus reserve drivers. Which of these drivers will be allowed to fight for the championship? There's a bit of an established pecking order at Audi, but not so much at Peugeot as far as I can tell. This could lead to some angst amongst the drivers. It would be nice in a way if the factory teams ran 3 cars each full-time, but I don't know if that is feasible.

Perhaps this is a good time to put a hard cap on entries per team for factory teams. Maybe that will force the factory teams to support privateer teams. Who knows.

I kind of like Audi and Peugeot rotating their drivers every race. It really does emphasize the team aspect of the sport. I'd like to keep that I think, but it looks like that is going away.

Quote:
Only one North American race would be uncool.
No doubt! I fully understand why the ILMC goes to China and why China may get two races, but I think a championship is pretty lame when you have multiple races that nobody cares about when there are historic races with thousands of fans wanting to see the best sports car racing has to offer. What can I say?

The ACO is hitched pretty deeply now to Audi and Peugeot. They cannot afford to lose those two (unless they are replaced) or else the series will almost certainly die. Having the ILMC die is one thing, but having a World Championship die again will be a major embarrassment. If anything, I think the rules are more likely to favor the powerhouses even more than in the past.