View Single Post
Old 16 Jun 2011, 20:16 (Ref:2900528)   #125
skycafe
Race Official
Veteran

United States
Water on three sides
skycafe is going for a new lap record!skycafe is going for a new lap record!skycafe is going for a new lap record!skycafe is going for a new lap record!skycafe is going for a new lap record!skycafe is going for a new lap record!
What were the weights of the WR93 and everyone's favorite, the Debora, from back in the early-mid nineties? The WR actually took pole in 1995, I believe, before some panic by the ACO. I do have to say though, after watching the two Audi wrecks, I am not really sure I want too much scrimping on materials to reduce weight at the potential compromise of safe structure. Granted, those are diesels and suffer some weight penalty due to that, and we know they also carry some ballast, but a halving of weight does seem to stretch prudency in safety.

The Garage 56 announcement called out for new technology but as I recall little definition of anything further. I agree with with Wolfsburg RS, the only thing new here is the shape and it is a ridiculous novelty. It is not a sports car. GreenGT demonstrated a funcioning electrics sports car during LeMans week, and the same car prior at Pau. Several automakers are offering such vehicles for purchase now as everything from city type cars to sports cars (Tesla). MIT is working on liquid battery technology. Hope debuted at LeMans a hybrid, Porsche has gone that route in a way and has begun to prove it in racing too. Mazda, the company that restored and showed off the 787B that won twenty years ago, is said or understood to be working on hydrogen fuel cells.

I really thought the 56th garage was meant for those sorts of things to be showcased.

The Delta could have a market-put a Harley Davidson motor in it, paint some flames on the side and send it to Daytona Bike Week, it would be a hit on the beach front.

Robert