View Single Post
Old 15 Jul 2011, 20:16 (Ref:2927204)   #52
AGD
Veteran

AGD should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridAGD should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I don't know. The privateer options today certainly aren't as competitive as the Porsches that were available for purchase for many, many years. Obviously, some of those privateer Porsches won overall. I guess you could even look at the Rondeau and a few others. 1995 was a great year for the smaller teams. Some of the privateers in the mid-00s had some success against the Audis, although the rule differences and the fact that the Audis were a bit aged and privateer entries themselves had to be factored.

In comparison, the aged and vastly underdeveloped privateer options available today aren't as good as some privateer options in the past, but maybe it is just a case that the privateers in the past had more money. A privateer team running an ARX-01e would probably do some serious damage against other privateer teams at the moment, but nobody seems to have the funds or the desire to run one.

Anyway, I'm not sure how we got to this topic, but I agree that this is a great time to be a sports car fan. However, if you are a fan of privateers and customer/small team cars, this period has not been very memorable. Unlike others, however, I don't think it is caused by petrol-diesel equivalence rules.