View Single Post
Old 11 Aug 2011, 21:18 (Ref:2938683)   #10
Racenut
Racer

Australia
Racenut should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jameson View Post
It's funny to see people wondering how Ratel can let GT3 cars race in GT1. Well, we should remember that those cars will be upgraded to GT1 and hence become GT1 cars and stop being GT3 cars - whatever it means (aero, engine, chassis, suspension, electronics, weight). In any case, it makes sense to do something with existing and attractive cars (such as 458, SLS, R8) instead of hoping to find a manufacturer to build just 2 cars which can not race anywhere else.

However, isn't there anyone else wondering what a Z4 is doing in a sportscar series? It looks amazing, but I still see it as a touring car and its road car version is nowhere near the prestige of the other ones out there.

As for the different classes, we shouldn't be splitting hairs. I don't care if a car used to be in GT3 and is now developed to GT1. It doesn't make it a lesser GT1 compared to something that was developed only for it. And I don't care if GT3 is just 2-3 seconds off the pace of GT1 or GT2 (GTE) getting too close to GT1 or GT3 getting faster than GT2, because all that doesn't matter as long as all of these have their own championships with enough cars and good teams & drivers and usually don't race against each other.

I'm happy to see that GT1 which I like a lot with some hesitance, seems actually being able to make it. The only thing I'm scared about is that it will become similar BoP circus that current GT3. BoP always divides people in two groups, but I think that the current GT1 BoP is great and the current GT3 BoP is crap. I hope the future GT1 will not become as bad as the current GT3, because then Ratel is just shooting his own leg and losing all the credibility he still has.
I think you are confusing GT and sports cars when you talk about the Z4. Traditionally a Grand Tourer (GT) was a big car with sporty look and a sports car is a small two seater (think AM DB4 vs MGB).

The 'new' GT class wont have GT1/2/3 it will be GT ! BOP will be used to get 'equal' performance across all cars. Take the restrictors out of a GT3 corvette, SLS and MP4 and install carbon brakes and they will be at GT1 speed (if that is the speed Ratel is after).