View Single Post
Old 15 Aug 2011, 13:50 (Ref:2939977)   #56
Derwent Motorsp
Veteran

Scotland
Cumbria
Derwent Motorsp should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid

I had a bad weekend! It started on Thursday when loading the car up and I put my back out, making loading very difficult and painful. The journey down on Friday was OK although the M6 was very busy. Got to Silverstone in time to see some testing of GT cars and Clios etc. It's just incredible what some folk must be happy to spend to compete at quite a low level - massive transporters, room dividers and floors in the pits, etc.
Monday we were out in the first practice and the car was running badly so pulled off after four laps and changed the plugs but not enough time to get out again.
Started from the back of grid and the car was going well so passed a lot of cars at the start and on the first lap but them got stuck behinf a TVR that was quicker on the straights but very slow on the corners. Tried all sorts but he always got away on the straights and then I had to back off to avoid hitting him on the twisty bits. I think I then hit second too quickly at the hairpin and the car slowed with nasty rattling noises from the engine. Thus retirement.
I spend the rest of the day spectating at a truly unique event. On the banking there were hundreds of frightfully jolly Bentley folk having picnics and champers while watching.
The "gentlemen's outfitters" was interesting - buy your hacking jacket or Scottish deer stalking coat at some incredible price. It made me wonder if you needed a different coat if you were stalking English or Welsh deer!
The Bentley Packhard starting up and flames pouring from the exhausts on tick over and something I've never seen in over 50 years at race meetings, a dog in the paddock.
It could only happen at a BDC event
It may well be that that will be it for my season now.