View Single Post
Old 21 Aug 2011, 18:57 (Ref:2943760)   #20
djb
Veteran

djb should be qualifying in the top 3 on the griddjb should be qualifying in the top 3 on the griddjb should be qualifying in the top 3 on the griddjb should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
I would have loved to have seen Villeneuve do well, but seeing his "blending" in move..oi vey, blending in at somewhat of a right angle doesnt seem to be ideal

but you know, he probably did go off because he was in fact leaving room to Amrose (he could have squeezed him easily, bumping a bit and putting himself ahead for the upcoming righthander, and I believe he lost it under braking because he was off the line and on the slippey side a bit (they both appeared to brake at the same time, Jacques did not look to have outbraked himself compared to Ambrose)

you know, despite what I said earlier about questioning the lack of penalites for taking people out, it was still a very entertaining race, it wouild have been even more fun if it was held today, as it has been raining most of today....

again, impressive as all heck how Ambrose passed so many people, truly shows the step up of talent with the road circuit drivers compared to the primarily oval guys. Just too bad that Vill had that happen, I see it now as a racing incident, and if he had pushed Ambrose over a bit, he (Vill) would have had the advantage, but he didnt push him in the left, but paid the price for being offline under braking.
At first I thought he could have come back onto the track better, by going on the paved section and actually blending in, but when you see the replay, his angle was bad to begin with, and you know, its easy to critisize from our chairs, but I can see how his instinct was to just get back on track--it was a totally doofus angle but, I can see how it could happen. He would have had to stop completely to not do what he did (hes led most of the race, pulling large leads, to lose it all to yellows and restarts)

On Ambrose punting him out a bit later....well that was probably premeditated, I say probably but seeing the replay, it might of been with other cars backing up a bit in mid corner....oh well.....it is what it is.

I still think its a mistake for the city to lose this race. Its very fan friendly, with loads more viewing space than F1 with general admission tickets, it really took me back to seeing F1 there 30 years ago when they didnt block fences with plastic sheeting to reduce viewing and/or stacking seats everywhere else. When I last went there to see F1 (at least 7 years ago) it was downright shameful how they treated the general admission people, hardly any viewing at all.

on the topic I brought up, this race was fun to watch and to hear, I would still like one day to see a big honking oval race, for the spectacle of it. But dont see myself getting into Nascar with the mostly oval races.