View Single Post
Old 23 Sep 2011, 23:20 (Ref:2960220)   #21
Purist
Veteran

United States
Wichita, Kansas, USA
Purist is going for a new world record!Purist is going for a new world record!Purist is going for a new world record!Purist is going for a new world record!Purist is going for a new world record!Purist is going for a new world record!
I don't find it to really stand out anymore. And they found ways to add run-off at the first couple turns, so they could have kept them the same and just added run-off. The chicane over the hill was added as a knee-jerk reaction following Senna's crash. I suppose they would have had to take out some trees to keep the old final turn. They did keep it as a fast one, just moved in to add run-off on top of the original turn.

The track used to excite me, with those opening two corners, those nice, wide 180s after that, and the flyer over the hill leading into that fast final curve. Now, I can't really get excited about the place. It was a track I would put alongside Algarve, Brno, or Mugello, but now, I find it not much better than the Hungaroring.

And F1 facilities of the 1990s are fine. Laguna Seca is about the only major road course here with garages and such at that level.