View Single Post
Old 8 Oct 2011, 09:10 (Ref:2967484)   #7
John Turner
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Pontesbury, Shropshire
John Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Simon, I have absolutely no problem with the above 4 drivers being BRDC members; all worthy in my opinion, but what exactly did they achieve in contemporary racing? I ask because I genuinely don't know but is finishing a few races, say midfield in a contemporary series any more worthy than winning some of the top historic races, often against stiff opposition. And the catch all 'Weekend Warriors' term is one I struggle with - define it - who fits the bill - you, James Wiseman, Mike Bell, Roger Wills, Stuart Tilley, Leo Voyazides, Jon Minshaw? Just a random selection but a big range in both ability, achievement and regularity of turnout! I think that there are just a few in historic racing who merit consideration for their racing achievements, contribution to motorsport and its history whether or not they have been successful elsewhere. Afterall historic racing is widespread and successful. And I'll also bet you that if you looked down the list of BRDC members you might just be asking 'who'? or 'why'? and maybe with good reason. Finally, I suggest that as a group BRDC is an aging one, so needs new blood, ideas and enthusiasm. I'm sure a few of our more illustrious historic racers can provide that.