View Single Post
Old 8 Oct 2011, 10:47 (Ref:2967527)   #9
John Turner
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Pontesbury, Shropshire
John Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by simon drabble View Post
John your last comment is exactly the dilemma I think they face. Do they stick to the original ethos of the club (and its entry criteria) and risk a club that becomes so exclusive that it disappears or do they open its doors to generally "good blokes" who dabble in the sport with varying degrees of success.
Well, I think that the time for that has past, as I suggest the true 'exclusivity' disappeared from the club some time ago. On the other hand, I agree that it should not create an open door policy for 'good blokes'. I just believe that each case should be dealt with on individual merits and I'd have thought that there were a few in historic racing that have won their spurs enough to gain entry.

Quote:
Originally Posted by simon drabble View Post
This is possibly why BRDC members become so incensed when people pass themselves off as members by putting the badge on their cars. Membership should be a recognition that you have excelled in the sport.
This is a different issue though isn't it? It's misrepresentation. Mind you if the owner of the car is member but occasionally puts in a driver who isn't, would we expect the badge to be constantly taken off and then replaced each time? How important is it in the affairs of the World?