View Single Post
Old 25 Oct 2011, 13:09 (Ref:2976524)   #26
Terrible-Tones
Veteran

Wales
Thrapston - Northants
Terrible-Tones should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridTerrible-Tones should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
This question of "forcing" people to do "Flagging" to get an upgrade is one that has reared it's head a number of times. Quite a lot of people give me feedback as I am on the SM Committee. I have had several people report that they will not bother to upgrade from Track to Exp Track (despite being clearly ready to do so) on the basis they simply do not want to do 5 days flagging. This seems such a waste, especially as it is clear that these guys/girls understand flags, and could certainly do it at a push.

I have reported this back to committee several times - but I am unsure if it has fallen on deaf ears.

However, from Trainee to Track you don't have to do any days flagging at all, but you have to have an assessment day for flagging. So it is up to you whether you wish to ge the practise in or not. IMHO this is about the right balance - I believe every marshal out on track should show an understanding of flags.

From Track to Exp Track you have to do a flag assessment and show 5 of your (at least) 15 days are flag days. This is where we run into the issues. All the MSA are asking is that you can prove that you can step up and at least help out if needed in flagging terms. A single day (which could be your assessment day) will show that. IMHO there is no need for 5.

5 days is an odd amount - too many to merely prove competence (ie get the right flag at more or less right time - useful in emergency manning) but no marshal will ever say you can be an expert in 5 days. So it is an "in between" figure and does not reflect the needs in any way.

This may all be arbitary anyway - the system is about to change (see BMMC website under "Grading") and the new guidelines will be published soon. I have no idea what is in them, but hopefully our comments about this, the recent thread re who can sign attendance sigs, and the number of days required for an upgrade, have been taken onboard.