View Single Post
Old 25 Oct 2011, 16:21 (Ref:2976638)   #36
exflagman
Racer

exflagman is heading for a stewards' enquiry!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ubique View Post
Part of the problem with flagging seems to me to be it's image and to a lot of young marshals (and I have thought when I was young) it's the marshalling equivalant of train spotting. Too often I've worked with flaggies who are aloof with the incident team and keep themselves to themselves and while the incident lads are doing track checks, repairing tyre walls, dealing with recoveries or one of the many jobs they can be called on to do between races the flaggie is sat having a brew. Now don't get me wrong there are some great flaggies out there that make sure they are part of the team and when the incident guys are dealing with recoveries muck in or sweep the track to share the work load.
It's the only time they get to have a brew - ever tried waving a flag with a cup of tea in the other hand?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ubique View Post
Lets remember that in most instances making a mistake with a flag (Except yellows obviously) will not get someone hurt which is why incident guys with not much flagging experience can fill a gap when required. .
Put out a blue flag to a back marker too late - watch them panic and either put the car in the wall or move over on another car