View Single Post
Old 3 Jan 2012, 00:30 (Ref:3006600)   #1338
Fogelhund
Veteran

Canada
Binbrook, ON Canada
Fogelhund has a real shot at the championship!Fogelhund has a real shot at the championship!Fogelhund has a real shot at the championship!Fogelhund has a real shot at the championship!Fogelhund has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Acid09 View Post
100% agree. I think there's a blame-game going on, some people are convinced that the ACO is somehow to blame for the state the ALMS is in.
I have no idea where this is coming from, but it keeps getting repeated. Sure, the ACO hasn't done the ALMS, or ELMS any favours, but that isn't what is to blame for the current state of the ALMS, and hasn't been stated.

I can see many people pointing to next year, and thinking everything is wonderful. To draw a parallel, this is like people suggesting that stocks aren't worth owning, because the market isn't doing well right now. No thoughts given to how it got there, what catalysts are out there to change things, or how actions will change the course of things.

Sure, the WEC should be good for a couple of years, but the whole format is going to leave sportscar racing in a mess at some point. It wasn't necessary, and lack management acumen. The right thing to do was easy to see, and basically would have achieved the same thing. This had the chance to be very good, but they screwed it up. That some people can't see that for now, fair enough... sometimes decent grids in the moment are good enough. Just as the ALMS looked great in 07', 08'.. it was easy to see they were actually in trouble, and making the wrong decisions. Just as the stock markets and economies were in trouble in 07' and early 08' were easy to see...

It will take some time, but this is going to fold up like a cheap deck of cards at some point, leaving things in disarray, that will take years to recover from.