Old 21 Jan 2012, 11:19 (Ref:3014909)   #28
SuperDuff
Racer

United Kingdom
Devon
SuperDuff should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by MacGWC View Post
With many marshals spending £200+ for a weekend's marshalling I am not sure your "free" ticket - even if for the best seat in the house as another contributer described it - is really "free"!
I am a bit concerned that if people are spending over £200 on a weekend and then moaning and groaning about it on here - why bother marshalling at all? Surely if it is the racing that keeps you entertained, then it would be cheaper to buy a ticket and spec it, thus affording lunch breaks, toilet stops and supporting the event? I am genuinely interested in how you spend £200 going to a UK race (and perhaps I have missed the point, perhaps you refer to internationals). Living in Devon, there is no circuit racing down here, Silverstone is our preferred circuit - that is one tank of petrol (call it £60). The eating thing is moot as I assume that you eat on a normal non-marshalling weekends too, and all circuits I have been to offer camping (which has been free). Ok, the overalls aren't free, but surely £17 on a pair from BMMC (and ok, the joining fee) isn't exactly stretching the budget, and other clubs run a loyalty type scheme.

Ten tenths is a great resource for information and pointing in the right direction, but to assume that some of these types of issues affect all of us is narrow minded and ridiculous. My other hobby is horses - you don't see me complaining about a lack of breaks to the horse - and it is similarly long days.

Summary - if you don't want to marshal (for whatever reason), surely the simple solution is don't do it.