Thread: First Aid
View Single Post
Old 3 Jun 2002, 09:53 (Ref:303278)   #9
Richard Sneader
Veteran

Scotland
Grays, Essex
Richard Sneader should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I totally agree with Jim on this issue of the first aid.
Having been involved with first aid for over 10 years on and off circuits and a member of St Johns I can only say this.
As a marshal you sign on for circuit duties i.e course, fire flag, obs and so on.
during the day if you have an incident and a driver has in your view a minor injury and you treat it from the on post first aid kit and then the driver goes back to his pit, ok. Later that day as a result of the minor injury the driver collapses and dies the person giving the treatment could be held liable.
The drivers have to be treated for insurance reasons for them to be able to race by a paramedic and cleared by a doctor.
Even if you have first aid at work qual this does not cover you to treat and discharge anyone without it being cheked out by a higher level.
So to sum up, leave the medical side to the the people that sign on for that duty. All you can do as a marshal is immediate asses the situation call the cavalry and if need be stop the driver moving till help arrives and give plenty of reassurance to the driver.
Rich S...