Thread: F1 tyres
View Single Post
Old 24 Apr 2012, 08:47 (Ref:3064725)   #37
Knowlesy
20KPINAL

Knowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by wnut View Post
Thanks

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KySJzJwP8fs

The turn four where Hildebrand hits the wall certainly has a massive groove with a lot of dust(?) on either side of the racing line, but the surface still seems free of marbles as the picture above illustrates. Perhaps Marbot may be right, but I don't know why. Is it possible to engineer the marbles out of tyres? It should be with a single tyre supplier.

The dust will still be there though as your example clearly shows.
Well some tyres create a lot less marbling, I would assume that the harder (and thus more durable) the compound the less you create. I don't recall many marbles in the 2005 season for instance, even late in races, because the tyres had to be hard enough to last an entire race (what a great rule ). Equally, public roads aren't littered with marbles, although I suspect we don't drive fast enough to generate them anyways.

The Pirellis destroy themselves artificially, so they throw rubber everywhere, in some cases chunks probably too big to be called a marble!