View Single Post
Old 17 Jun 2012, 20:10 (Ref:3093765)   #16
AndrewF31
Veteran

Canada
Spain
AndrewF31 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridAndrewF31 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Honestly, I think that corner is just like the corner where Kauffmann and Rocky went off last year. It's a very difficult fast corner with only 1 stable lane, and much more tricky then the one half way towards Indianapolis because of the slow corner at the end.

I understand that "to be lapped cars" must let the fast ones past but its not an absolute rule on all parts of the circuit.

I believe on parts like this the rule only applies if the fast car is beside them. If not, the faster driver should also be responsible for taking their foot off the accelerator and wait a bit. We saw McNish do that earlier in the day (this morning) when he and, I think, Treluyer, came up to a group of 3 lapped cars at the same place.

We frequently point the fingers only at the GT AM drivers or Gentlemen drivers, and indeed they make some foolish decisions, and this one wasn't too far off that.
However I also believe that the Pros are the best equiped to manage correctly tricky situations since they are trained and prepared to run in high-pressure situations.

In the end both could have done better:

1- Perrazini could have acknowledged Davidson's approach by taking his foot off the accelerator a bit earlier and let Davidson by before the small turn

2- Brake earlier and put himself to the left to let Davidson by at that spot (in my view not so easy at that place after a long fast straight)

3- Davidson concluding himself that he would not catch Perrazini before that point and take his foot off and get the Ferrari on the braking area into Mulsanne Corner.