Thread: WEC Silverstone WEC 2012
View Single Post
Old 20 Jun 2012, 12:12 (Ref:3095381)   #18
bella
Race Official
Veteran

France
bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!
i'm not sure exactly who pays for what, but judging by the varying levels of bothered at each circuit on the calendar i would say that wsr/rpm brings all the racing, toys etc and the circuits look after the actual costs of hosting it like crowd control, parking control, etc themselves.

it's differently hosted in germany (where you can't move without being handed earplugs) than in hungary (where there's far more vehicles to look at - trucks, fire engines, etc) and spa for example. there was no music and "extreme" sports at motorland, but at spa there were wsr branded cheerleaders, stunt pedal bikists and a dj. that was at every round last year. so it's a bit unclear.

regarding behavior, it's general common sense stuff that i noticed was ignored at le mans too - paul mentioned ducking the barriers to get next to the catch fencing, smoking in places they shouldn't etc. the attitude of the fans on the whole can be summed up by the comments on any post on the wsr facebook page from the british. it's free. many of them don't give a stuff about motorsport, they just go because it's free. i've also managed to convert quite a few to live motorsport via the wsr. it's a great event if you genuinely like to see a good, well managed day on the circuit with stuff to look at and stuff for the kids to do too.

for what it's worth, i never see that same attitude at any of the other wsr venues.

Last edited by bella; 20 Jun 2012 at 12:18.