View Single Post
Old 20 Jul 2012, 01:44 (Ref:3108845)   #43
Jonerz
Veteran

United States
Youston
Jonerz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridJonerz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by joeb View Post
I never have understood why the production class has an artificial displacement limit when some of the current or potential cars have larger engines. If you have a production class let them use their engines for Pete's sake!
Yeah, and while smaller displacement engines is clearly a trend that is happening in the auto industry, and it can be a valid part of the solution to increase efficiency and lessen pollution it isn't necessarily the WHOLE answer or perhaps even a long term necessity. Don't limit the possible "answers to the question" both in terms of go-fast and road relevance by limiting displacement. It is just lazy. I think the ACO have learned that with their changes to P1 (although the stupid 5.5L privateer thing needs to be rectified) and I expect with the next rules update the displacement limit will leave. Restrictors and weights can be adjusted for various cars. That was exhibited to some degree in the ACO rules previously and a very valid solution was exhibited in IMSA (the sliding scale) for years and years to good success.

Chris