View Single Post
Old 5 Sep 2012, 14:14 (Ref:3131289)   #8
b1ackcr0w
Veteran

b1ackcr0w is going for a new world record!b1ackcr0w is going for a new world record!b1ackcr0w is going for a new world record!b1ackcr0w is going for a new world record!b1ackcr0w is going for a new world record!b1ackcr0w is going for a new world record!b1ackcr0w is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by hillclimber View Post
It's an early 911, on Kumho v70s.

The hump by the tree (bunny's leap) is quite off camber and the road goes to the left just where the car settles, so it's quite hard to keep things balanced, especially with a heavy rear weight bias. You're right though, I could definitely be more aggressive (I don't need to lift off so much) and leave braking later. I'm there on Saturday so I will try to hold my nerve (and keep the car off the grass / out of the trees).

Again, yes, I could go quicker through the gate and the first part of the esses, so need to focus on that.

Not sure I could squeeze another gear before Martini but I'm sure there's room to leave braking later.

So in summary, carrying more speed through bunny's and the gate, and pushing on earlier in the esses then braking later at Martini, will all help.

Thank you for your comments, which really are appreciated. I will report back - hopefully to say that I've made it into the 46s and not broken the car!

Actually, you might even be there, it being the MGCC event? If so, do say hello!
I'll watch the video later. But from years of watching Martini (I maintain, one of the best corners, at one of the best venues to marshal in British Motorsport), the trick is to stay out to the right on the castle straight, longer than you think you should before turning in. The corner is >180 degrees and
apex further round than it looks. That said, my hat is instantly doffed to anybody who can get a 911 round that corner without engaging with the scenery. There is a vicious off camber crown which is almost designed to upset a 911.