View Single Post
Old 25 Oct 2012, 21:11 (Ref:3157692)   #2
isynge
Veteran

United Kingdom
London, UK
isynge is going for a new world record!isynge is going for a new world record!isynge is going for a new world record!isynge is going for a new world record!isynge is going for a new world record!isynge is going for a new world record!isynge is going for a new world record!isynge is going for a new world record!
I'd chuck all the Japanese manufacturers into the mix, but you're absolutely right about Toyota, I recall in the early 2000s talking to someone very connected to McLaren and them saying that while they were very worried about Toyota coming to F1, the fact that they'd never won Le Mans gave them grounds to think Toyota might not roll all before them.

I guess there are a couple of nuances to a thread like this

Unfinished business carries with it the implication that business could be finished. So for all that I'd have loved to see Vic Elford have a Le Mans victory under his belt, that's not going to happen now, so probably not a candidate for this.

Aston Martin is a realistic candidate. Looking back over old Le Mans DVDs I'm struck by how the Nimrod campaign had a lot more promise than it felt like at the time, and then subsequent attempts, right up to last year's debacle, have consistently promised a lot, but never quite got there.

On a driver front there's a whole French generation who suffered from Peugeot's relative under achievement at Le Mans - so Minassian, Sarrazin, Bourdais, Montagny, etc all could legitimately feel they have a reason to come back and get the result they might well figure they should have had.

Sure there are plenty more to chuck in.