View Single Post
Old 5 Jan 2013, 19:36 (Ref:3185177)   #4
Caterhamf1
Rookie

Caterhamf1 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Bell View Post
Although we hear of F1 cars 'keeping heat in the tyres' by getting rims hot through overusing the brakes on warm up lap (Alonso especially), in a car like yours don't think any heat generated will ever get to the wheel rims in one lap. As David says, weight on the corners is what warms tyres via a combination of lateral and braking G forces. You need to load them as much as possible, without being a danger to your fellow competitors! However, getting brakes hot IMHO is just as important if not more so, so you can actually take speed off if necessary in traffic during early race laps. I left foot brake when safe to do so on warm up lap while still accelerating and weaving. (Practice somewhere on your own!) Also important especially if on slicks to make sure the outer tyres are hot for first corner, whichever way that goes. I can't post links from tablet but there is a YouTube clip of what happens when you don't- featuring me...

Okay, thanks, thats good to know. I would be keen to see the youtube clip!

So I think I will go for weaving, and then bring the brakes up near the end of the lap for the start.

Thanks!