Old 17 Jan 2013, 07:31 (Ref:3190354)   #74
formerf1champ
Veteran

Australia
Vettel's gearbox preparing bench
formerf1champ should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Notso Swift View Post
Speaking of Potato heads... 3 of the last 4, 2 of those he had Webber on his tail not allowed to pass, despite leading the WDC and Seb being miles behind... for that reason alone I was backing Alonso praying it all blew up in RBR face
In Korea, the conditons were so unpredictable, and the opposition were so close to them that had Webber been in a position to pass, there's really nothing RB could've done to hold Webber back. As it turned out, Vettel's car broke down, therfore a Webber podium, let alone a win, would've taken Vettel out of any serious title contention. But, like I stated in the other post, I've found it annoying when other make excuses for him. He's the one who' trumped himself up, and always blaming the cars. As they say "A good tradesman doesn't blame his tools."

Quote:
I am not a fan boy of his, no driver sees me gushing, but your dribble is just pooling on the floor and needs to be mopped up
"I'm not a fanboy" translated means "I am a fanboy".

Quote:
I do remember doing the Proddies when he was in FF in 94 where it was obvious he was better than someone like Lowndes (in the same car)
Oh really??? Will have to look up the 94 proddie car season to try and fugure you out. You see this is not a good comment. To the uninitiated, they will think Webber show some spark to suggest he was a future gp star, whereas in fact he didn't. I remember him having one decent race at Winton, but that's hardly a great indicator.

Better than Lowndes??? Mate, you're not talking to some random european on here who wouldn't know any better of aus fford and couldn't care less, I know the 94 season better than what even Steve Richards would. What did Webber do that was so great in 94?

I agree that in 95, the wins at Sandown and Phillip Island were outstanding, buit they were just two races. For whatever promise he showed, he still ended up 4th behind Bright, Monaghan and Noske. Monaghan was in a year old car as well. None of those drivers showed a level of ability that a serious future gp couldn't handle. Seriously, which driver, who takes themselves as seriously as Mark Webber does, gets beaten by Mark Noske? Even you could take Noske, whoever you are.

Quote:
IIRC Webber is now the oldest driver on the grid (he may be the only one still born in the 70's!), and he is there on merit, not because of any sugar daddy, actually he is there despite others having sugar daddies.
So, what does Mark's dad do for a living? Who goes out and buys the reigning ffords champ car for their son to have as their first race car? Ok, it wasn't all his Dad's money, his Dad had to ask his mate David Campese for some loose change.

How does a guy finish 2nd in brit fford, to his team mate, progress to f3? (yet his team mate didn't)
How does a guy become the 4th best Merc gt driver, of 4 drivers, and still get the sponsorship to go to f3000?
How does a guy, who finished a clear 2nd in f3000, despite being a clear favourite, progress to F1?

But it's ok, he's a great driver. He outqualified Alex Yoong!