View Single Post
Old 18 Jan 2013, 00:38 (Ref:3190842)   #10
pach233
Veteran

United States
Greenville, SC
pach233 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridpach233 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I've thought a lot about this lately regarding racing as a whole generally and sports car racing. IMO a lot of what made racing what it was has slowly eroded away. This, combined with economic factors, loss of relevance (imo) to the general auto industry and mis-management of many major series has led to the decline we're seeing all of over the place.

This spec type racing aimed at lowering cost and marketing to the lowest common denominator isn't helping matters. NASCAR, Indycar, V8 Supercars, DTM, NGTC Touring Cars, Daytona Prototypes, Super GT have all gradually gone more and more spec. While GT racing has gone more towards performance balancing. This type of racing just doesn't capture the imagination of fans.

Something needs to significantly change in the mindset and promotion of series or racing will become more irrelevant and we will continue to see fields dwindle in quality and quantity. It needs to become a viable professional sport at the top where money is made rather than written off as a marketing expense.

I'm sorry for the not so well put together thoughts. If things don't change, racing as a whole is doomed in the future. In the mean time I'll enjoy all the racing I can.

Last edited by pach233; 18 Jan 2013 at 01:02.