Thread: Pre 66 Viable?
View Single Post
Old 31 May 2013, 09:14 (Ref:3255895)   #31
terence
Veteran

Germany
Nordschleife
terence should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridterence should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by zefarelly View Post
Al, they do, 70's roadsports.

Colin and Roger I completely agree with . . . the last ten years has seen a lot of development also. when I first went to Spa in 2002 we ran Les LC and he was as competitive as anyone, his lap times where 3:15 . . . down to 3:12 . . .average LC was mid teens to mid 20's . . . . the front running cars now are all hookey with no provenance and now close to 3m dead. That's a bold statement, but a fact.

In that time I've managed to get my car from 3:30 to 3:16 . . .and its still bog standard underneath . . . . I think Its now at its limit and I've been seriously considering putting it into semi retirement for fear of my own desire to be competitive and ending up spoiling it. Hence the decision to build the GT car.

Thanks Zef,you just backed up my point about only spending so much on a given car,and still complying with [FIA] regs.
Ideal tin top would be as light as possible,from the factory.Readily available parts,easy to set up and run.Sounds very much like a Cortina. Alfas tend to be heavier without spending large sums on lightweight panels etc.
One area often overlooked,[quite obvious when watching some drivers] is actually being able to extract the most from your chosen car. Many people only rely on the extra grunt they have over Joe Bloggs,who is often the better driver,in getting to the finish line first. Far better to learn to get your car to its limits first before spending a shedload of cash on "The latest Fashionable Cylinder Head " or what have you.