Thread: Pre 66 Viable?
View Single Post
Old 3 Jun 2013, 12:59 (Ref:3257120)   #36
Al Weyman
Veteran

England
South of Watford (just)
Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!
A genuine usable 289 block could cost you an arm and a leg, expect to pay £15k plus (maybe a few grand more) and the VAT on top for the engine alone. I know someone who is building one in fact two different people and one baulked at what he was being asked to pay for a genuine 289 block I believe the other is going 302. Remember most Mustangs and Fairlanes in the US have a 302 fitted, a much more common and easy to find block and a sensible solution plus they allow aftermarket heads to be used again sensible (neither legal over this side of the pond in FIA Spec racing though) and I bet most that are imported as 'genuine' FIA are in fact American Historic Race spec which is something quite different so be careful! I think the whole FIA thing is daft the yankee rules much better and I recon most yank engines, Ford or Chevy have something wrong that doesnt comply if they were stripped and thats before we even start on the chassis!! There is no way these cars could be so much quicker than they were in period with factory backing if they were correct its as simple as that apart from the odd second or two here and there for track improvements and tyres.