View Single Post
Old 3 Jun 2013, 21:09 (Ref:3257319)   #1
Schummy
Subscriber
Veteran

Schummy has a real shot at the podium!Schummy has a real shot at the podium!Schummy has a real shot at the podium!Schummy has a real shot at the podium!Schummy has a real shot at the podium!
MotoGP 2013: Italy

The magnificent Mugello circuit saw one close race and probably two significant wins.

Moto3 is all about Vinales, Salom and Rins, with a guest named Folger (without a realistic title chance). It was a typical Mugello race of slipstreams. Rins probably didn't play well all his cards, Salom was clever and Vinales (IMO the pest package in the category) didn't have the perfect gearing for a slipstream battle.

Redding won the race "comfortably". He is almost the only likely candidate to the title. I am disappointed with Espargaro, he has not adapted to this year's tyres. But he is a proven winner, so one has to give him some minimal likelihood of being contender. Terol is a past winner but he has not translated well to Moto2; now he is improving, but perhaps too late already. Rabat never was a winning rider, but this winter his approach changed a lot. He had two good races early in the season, but now he looks a bit lost again.

The only other notable rider I see in Moto2 is Naka. He is consistent in getting good speed in every circuit. But he is too crashy, he needs to know better where are his bike's grip limits. I hope (and expect) he improves.

Lorenzo won the top category but the season will be a 33% between him, Pedrosa and Marquez, IMO. Nobody else matters in terms of title. Crutchlow, perhaps the best after the top three, has to fight to be the fourth in this championship, against Rossi and perhaps a surprising Dovi (surprising because of Ducati, of course). If Vale didn't get a final 4th position in the season, I am not sure if he will continue...

In another time we could speak about the worst riders of the season, in terms of unmatched expectations. Every season has its bright and dark sides...