View Single Post
Old 3 Jun 2013, 21:22 (Ref:3257327)   #52
socram
Veteran

New Zealand
Auckland
socram should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridsocram should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Member CCC View Post
The reality of promoting Motorsport in NZ may come home to roost.
My info tells me it was a very average paying crowd at Puke and certainly won't pay the bills
The way that see it is Motorsport is in a very sad state in this country and you have to ask the question why?
Too much competition for the leisure dollar.
Lack lustre support grids.
Poor viewing experiences over the years - once lost, spectators are gone.
Too many one make races (and I include all current V8 classes purporting to be Holden vs Ford.)
Lack of genuine Kiwi built one offs to inspire the crowd.
Tiny grids at the top level - including this last weekend.
The days of a swag of current F1 stars (and cars) visiting for the summer are long gone.
Lack of media coverage (in all motorsports).
Too many safety cars/delays.
Too much time with either blank tarseal between races to look at or cars out of sight.
Catch fences/concrete walls/bridges spoiling the view.
Not being able to walk right around the whole track, either inside or outside.
Too few camera friendly positions (Pukekohe/Taupo/Manfeild)
Lack of disposable cash now - particularly with the baby boomer age group now on pensions.
Other forms of motorsport are probably more entertainlng to the less committed - Speedway, Stock cars, Drifting etc.

Need I go on?

The days of huge numbers of spectators is well gone and it would take a minor miracle to get them back, so we are going to have to live with the fact that for 99% of meetings, crowd numbers will not be huge.

Oh, and more TV coverage of several types of racing over multiple channels is a far cry from the days of just 1 TV Channel, so TV coverage may be a double edged sword...