View Single Post
Old 14 Aug 2013, 21:23 (Ref:3289886)   #380
Purist
Veteran

United States
Wichita, Kansas, USA
Purist is going for a new world record!Purist is going for a new world record!Purist is going for a new world record!Purist is going for a new world record!Purist is going for a new world record!Purist is going for a new world record!
It gives the marshals time in that initial phase of clean-up, and the guys coming out of the pits, a handful of minutes later, are going to be relatively clumped together. In other words, it's predictable and reliable, and the marshals have a better idea of what to expect when. Also, as previously stated, this system provides for large gaps of time when there are NO cars going past, which aids in both clean-up and marshal safety.

Frankly, the circumstances under which this topic ALWAYS comes up tell me that this is by-and-large a convenience issue for people. Therefore, I'm quite happy to just dismiss the complaints and calls for a fundamental shift in how these situations are handled. I think it is possible that ways can be found to clean up and streamline the re-organization of the field before returning to green, but apart from that, just leave it alone.

Yes, I do think there are more situations than they are taking advantage of now to just have a local yellow, but I also know that in the States, this is kind of to be expected.

BTW, in Europe, and elsewhere, the policy is generally to leave stranded vehicles, unless they are judged to be in a precarious position. Stalled/stranded vehicles aren't restarted or assisted (unless you're Michael Schumacher at the Nurburgring).