View Single Post
Old 28 Aug 2013, 10:51 (Ref:3295122)   #2451
Flo aus N
Rookie

Flo aus N should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by gwyllion View Post
You are looking at this wrongly. Energy density is not an issue for lithium ion battery, power density is! The hybrid system needs to be charged in a very short period of time.

http://ev.sae.org/article/10599 gives the following numbers for the A123 battery pack in the electric Drayson Lola.
That means an energy density of 60 kWh * 3.6 / 300 kg = 0.7 MJ/kg for that battery technology.

Again using the Drayson battery pack as example.
That means a power density of 633 kW / 300 kg = 2.11 kW/kg for that battery technology.

Power density is the main reason why Toyota went for supercapacitors. The electric motor in the TS030 is 300 hp = 221 kW. A lithium ion battery would have to weigh more than 100 kg.
Sorry. I was not able to read the full datas. I thought that they would have an higher power density. I was looking at Of course you are right and theese numbers make clear, why the supercapacitors have a way better power density plus the fact that power and capacity density of a battery pack get lower, especially when it is ran 30 hous on the limit. Peugeot had quite a few problems with them, opting to route their system back. And of course, they had only 120kw instead of almost 230 kw which they Toyota System produces (at least!!).