View Single Post
Old 12 Sep 2013, 10:38 (Ref:3302634)   #6547
Maelochs
Veteran

Maelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
2014 p1s might well be marginally slower than 2013's, simply because they will be brand new cars on narrower tires with engines tuned for fuel efficiency.

If there is a difference, it will likely be slight, as the differences are slight and in some ways balance out (less downforce but also less drag, less mechanical grip but front wings and wider rear wings, narrower tires for less grip but less drag ...)

Either way, by 2015 I;'d bet they will be right back at pre-2014 speeds. Engineers Always seem to figure out ways to go faster while the rules always find ways to slow the cars, and we end up with about the same speeds every time.

I am particularly interested to see what the various teams do with economy/hybrid balance. I wonder if for some races it will be possible to eliminate a stop or two by running extra-efficiently, or to push the economy limit and make up for the extra stop with quicker laps.

I imagine the teams will be learning on the fly, and fine-tuning both engines (brand new) and hybrid systems (either all-new or mush bigger) with tire and drivetrain loads, and economy, and discovering a lot of stuff they can do.

I can deal with cars being a second or two slower per lap for a year if there are a lot more strategy options.