View Single Post
Old 15 Sep 2013, 23:47 (Ref:3304470)   #65
Beetle
Veteran

United States
Texas
Beetle is going for a new lap record!Beetle is going for a new lap record!Beetle is going for a new lap record!Beetle is going for a new lap record!Beetle is going for a new lap record!Beetle is going for a new lap record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by isynge View Post
I love the freedom you get at places like Spa and Le Mans, but by the same token having seen footage from Watkins Glen or Sebring in the 1970s see that things can get seriously out of hand.

Main thing here that rankled was the "thou shalt not bring your own food". I like good food, and looking at a lot of sporting venues (and yes Silverstone, I'm looking right at you) the food on offer is a disgrace, and I quite like being able to bring my own - being told I can't causes a hackle to rise.

I'm a walker these days rather than biker, but I can see why allowing a bike in there would add a lot to people's experience of the track; essentially I'd say police it so people behave considerately, don't police it by banning it.

Overall however the banned list sounded a lot like killing joy. I still kind of wish I'd sorted those flights to Texas (although London Open House next weekend means there's plenty to keep me otherwise occupied) but given the free thinking atmosphere that Austin and SXSW conjures up it just seems a real shame that COTA is coming across as a little bit of a killjoy.
Will the London Open House be showcasing 20 Fenchurch Street, the aptly dubbed "fryscraper" that managed to melt some bloke's Jag?

And I agree with Eric - all of this banned nonsense is a holdover from the F1 event. They don't check your bags carefully at all - basically they just feel around one or two compartments without even looking and send you on your way.