View Single Post
Old 18 Jul 2002, 18:17 (Ref:336735)   #50
kdr
Veteran

kdr should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridkdr should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
ok calcium/ginetta - here we go.

a little creative cropping will be inevitable if your subject is small in the frame and you want it to be big in the frame. if you do - use a slower film or even better some velvia...then it'll take the pull-up better. your pics look a little grainy thats all.

as in most things in life - you get what you pay for. a 500mm nikon f.4 will get you razor sharp images if you get the picture sharp. a sigma 500mm f.8 may not be as sharp - so don't get p****d off, it may not be your fault. the difference is in the quality and the £6,000 price tag!

don't run before you can walk. you're correct - your best picture is the first one....because you've framed the bike quite well(although could be better - look for lines, kerbs, nice grass/gravel)...and as keen amateur you'll have to learn to make good use of pre-focusing and "negative space" - and believe me theres nothing wrong with that...i love it!

panning takes practice...and look for a good spot where they're moving at a good speed to go with the ffflllloooowwww...and try for a while with no film in - just to get your eye in...no sense in chucking money at mr.fuji.

programme schmogramme...you'll just get even more confused. buy a cheap light meter and learn from there - why do you think the pros are always holding them up to the light and not just switch to auto? and why do you think all the dps in f1 racing mag have the aperture and speed quoted? because its usually been shot manually.

backgrounds. think of the background as a backdrop...look for plain, or if there is colour thens the time to go panning for gold.

sadly accreditation is one of the hardest things in the world to get hold of. the issue of insurance for you and for anyone you come into contact with being just one sticking point. think of all the great jobs in the world...then imagine if you fancied it, you could just turn up and give it a go...mmmm...today i fancy being a brain surgeon. a little hard maybe but just a thought.

usage is massively difficult...most mags are sending all the way down to club level. question is ginetta...do you want to be a motorsport photographer? if you do then you need to approach things from an entirely different perspective. you want qualifications in photography, darkroom techniques, wire tranmission, etc....then you go knocking on peoples doors.

sorry for the rant, its meant to help and i do know what i'm vaguely talking about...honest!