View Single Post
Old 11 Apr 2014, 14:07 (Ref:3391094)   #81
Richard C
Veteran

Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by LMP1 View Post
I'm just a casual viewer of sportscars so I don't always get some of the WEC rules:

What is the point in splitting P1 into -H and -L?
Are they worried some teams can't compete with the big manufacturers? If so, shouldn't they just compete in P2 instead of splitting the P1 class in two?
I will also take a stab at answering your questions...

If given a single set of rules in LMP1, the ACO (and likely everyone else) absolutely thinks there is little chance of a private team being able to complete against the factory teams (short of luck) due to resource (money) inequality. So if you likely have near zero chance at winning as privateer, why compete? That would mean LPM1 would be effectively factory only and nobody really wants that. Nobody wants all privateers to be stuffed into LMP2.

So they created two sets of rules for LMP1 (LMP1H and LMP1L). One for factory teams (hybrid) and the other for privateer teams (non-hybrid). ACO has tried to both balance energy allocations with regards to fuel and hybrid classifications as well as provide some incentives to the privateer teams (via increased allocations). Theoretically a top notch privateer team could win with less money spent.

I believe one goal of this is to support both factory and privateer teams at the same time but without putting all of their eggs in one basket. If the factory teams left (not a good thing regardless), they have regulation targeted at lower budget privateers.

Richard