Old 30 May 2014, 15:50 (Ref:3412750)   #56
DS"
Veteran

Germany
Germany
DS" should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Salamus View Post
This fascination with expanding beyond North America is really worrying to me. It just isn't the right time to do something like this.
Well, if the venue pay good money, why shouldn't IndyCar go there? Now I still remember the Tsingtao debacle, but Mark Miles didn't have anything to do with it. And like others, I don't like street courses very much. But like it or not, they do seem to bring in the money these days.

Quote:
Maybe new sponsors will come in but IndyCar's minute presence in the media isn't very convincing.
A proper international TV deal would be sufficient for now. The reason why CART was so popular in Europe during the 90's was also due to superb coverage by EuroSport. Maybe IndyCar should negotiate with EuroSport again? Not to mention that this could also open them the door towards the other Discovery channels, notably Velocity (And yes, I'm familiar with the fact, that IndyCar still has a contract with NBCSN until 2019)...okay, it wouldn't make any difference on the ratings, if IndyCar airs on Velocity or NBCSN on cable.

Quote:
IndyCar has struggled to attract viewers in the United States, although there has been a slight increase this year. Obtaining a strong fanbase in North America should be their first primary goal.
I think IndyCar wants to do that. But delivering a good on-track and television product is the first step in doing so. Of course, you also have to sell your product to someone.