View Single Post
Old 3 Jul 2014, 02:20 (Ref:3429724)   #1258
miatanut
Veteran

United States
Seattle
miatanut should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridmiatanut should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridmiatanut should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard Casto View Post
No offense intended (really), but either you are purposefully being obtuse, or you just don't understand the rules. You are adding things to the rules that do no exist. You mention control system, etc. None of that exists in the rules.

Section 3.4 (actually just a fragment that is pertinent)...

"Movable bodywork parts/elements are forbidden when the car is in motion."

Simply stated. It doesn't go into the items you mention. And as I mention above, it is such an absolute rule that "by definition" all cars are unable to meet this rule. However, there is "moveable" and there is "MOVEABLE". When does it become a problem? I assume when someone shouts loud enough. Then....

Section 3. (at the very top)...

"The FIA reserves the right to introduce load/deflection tests on any part of the bodywork which appears to be (or is suspected of), moving whilst the car is in motion"

A key part of this is the "reserves the right" part. I guess that it really is up to the FIA to decide if/when/or by how much they will enforce the rule. They may choose to turn a blind eye.

If you haven't read them, they are interesting...

http://www.fia.com/sites/default/fil...004%202014.pdf

Cheers!

Richard
It's been a while since I read those, but that part seems to say the same as it used to.

Why do you selectively edit things out? I mentioned control system because it IS stated in the rules. In the sentence following, which you chose to ignore.

Quote:
Movable bodywork parts/elements are forbidden when the car is in motion.

Any system operated automatically and/or controlled by the driver to modify any airflow when the car is in motion is forbidden.
What "system" is being operated automatically or controlled by the driver? Looking at Mulsanne Mike's video, the whole thing looks like it has a mind of its own going over a curb, with stuff flapping every which way. It's not being controlled by any conventional sense of the meaning of the word control. It's deflecting, and it passed the tests and was cleared to race. Porsche was told to get their deflecting bodywork under control. That wasn't a wing and there wasn't a test, so maybe that was done by fiat.

Hmmmm, maybe FIA is playing favorites.

Or, maybe it simply passed the required test, which Toyota engineers probably implemented numerous times, probably also with the bodywork heated up a few degrees hotter than any temperatures they expected at Le Mans to make sure they could pass the test under all circumstances.