Thread: WEC 2015 WEC Discussion
View Single Post
Old 23 Aug 2014, 19:34 (Ref:3446644)   #110
Salamus
Veteran

Canada
Ontario
Salamus should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSalamus should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSalamus should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSalamus should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chiana View Post
Is there much benefit in the six hour format for the manufacturers though... it's what they're being served and I guess it's doing okay for them, but if you don't ever try anything different how can you see if there are benefits...

If you had three or four hour regular races Eurosport could show full or near full broadcasts instead of 90 minutes at the end or whatever. Remember the length of the race altogether was the reason ES dropped FIA GT years ago.

And for the endurance aspect and/or LM preparation the mentioned 12/10 hour race(s)
You're right, nobody knows what will really benefit until they try. But I don't think shorter races will work for two reasons: 1) WEC is all about endurance, 6+ hour races, 2) I don't think teams want to travel the world and do 3 hour races.

Like I said before, I agree that it would be interesting if they had an 8, 10, or 12 hour race. Depending on what track they do it on, it would be a great addition to the schedule.

Quote:
What is essential now then? "Stability" year after year?
Yes. Having the same races and building on these events will strengthen the entire championship. And if they can expand the schedule and add a couple more races, then we can have a solid schedule. Montreal, if it happens, would be a great addition.

Quote:
I only really meant ELMS GT3 by that, as it was a reference to possible WEC-ELMS integration.

Or if that's too scary - pre-qualifying eliminations for the (lesser classes). A la GTC at Petit Le Mans in 2011 I believe?
Pre-qualifying eliminations are even scarier. You allow teams to come to the event and then don't let them race...this isn't 1985 anymore.

I don't think auto invites are that important. The best teams are going to Le Mans anyway.

Quote:
In the last four years of WSC there was only one 1000km event. And prior that in the Group C era, yes most races were 1000km but not automatically standardized as such - you had 300km, 800km, 200 mail races in the mix. The first year with sole 1000kms besides LM is 1984 - same with 82 to 83 - but when you go to 1981 it's full of variety again: 24h, 12h, 6h, 1000km, 500 miles. That was also the year they still run Daytona and Sebring.
The overwhelming majority of racing from the 60's, 70's, and 80's were 6 Hours or 1000 km. The big events (Daytona, Sebring, Le Mans) were longer.

From 1968 to 1988, only 27 races were less than 1000 km or 6 hours. That's only 12% of the races (27/225). You refer to 1989 and the seasons afterwards but fail to mention that those were standardized distances as well! The distances were just shorter.

The standardization of the current schedule isn't a big deal. It's been like this since the beginning of the LMS.

BTW the first year with sole 6H/1000 km races was 1974.

Quote:
Every championship doesn't have standard distances!

I mean look at USCC: 24h, 12h, 1000mil, 6h, 2h45min, 2h, 1h40min, 45min

Or Super GT: 1000km, 500km, 300km, 250km

And if one really is into variety, just look into V8 Supercars and their million different varying formats.
You've mentioned championships that don't have standard distances. If I wanted, I could list a ton of championships that do have standard distances.

Quote:
If you do not count ILMC into WEC that's (sort of) fine, but if you really consider WEC as true world championship world sportscar surely that makes it direct sequel to the old World Sportscar Championship? Now, it doesn't mean that this year marks 43rd running of that old championship, however it does mean that this is the 43rd running of officially sanctioned championship for sportscars in general. It might be a new generation, but it belongs to the same continuum.
A 20 year gap between seasons is very unhealthy for a championship. Almost nobody today besides sportscar fans know of the WSC. The point you are trying to make here has no merit. The WEC started in 2012, it's going into its 4th season and it's a very young championship.

Last edited by Salamus; 23 Aug 2014 at 19:49.