Thread: WEC Race 2014 WEC Round 6: Shanghai
View Single Post
Old 30 Oct 2014, 23:59 (Ref:3470107)   #11
Purist
Veteran

United States
Wichita, Kansas, USA
Purist is going for a new world record!Purist is going for a new world record!Purist is going for a new world record!Purist is going for a new world record!Purist is going for a new world record!Purist is going for a new world record!
I don't deny that taking power from the LMP2s, in particular, has caused significant problems. However, TF110, we saw in the BSS races in Slovakia that even a 20-meter-wide track isn't enough when guys think they can go for it without any real consequences.

Yes, Slovakia Ring itself has gravel traps, but these drivers have now run on so many other tracks with the tarmac run-offs, and done so for enough years, that those bad habits and behaviors have crossed over into places where they cannot get away with them.

A critical mass has been reached in the upper echelons of motor racing, and we are seeing the product of that in the form of degrading driving standards. This has even trickled down the ladder at least as far as F3, where we saw a third to half of the field ignoring yellows at Spa, resulting in a horrendous pile-up on the approach to Pouhon!

(Spa itself presents a conundrum of inconsistency within a single circuit, where some parts of the track afford massive amounts of freedom to get away with almost anything, whereas in other areas, there's no reasonable way to ever add "enough" run-off space. And then they try to add curbs and speed bumps to prevent short-cutting, which just results in cars that really over-shoot getting launched into the air. In fact, it was just such an incident that caused the yellow that was ignored, leading to the aforementioned pile-up.)

As to Shanghai, there are corners and sequences I like, but the whole lap doesn't fit together to create a unified and satisfying whole. And again, the surroundings, for the most part, are so bloody far away that I CAN'T see enough usable frames of reference to allow the cars to look as spectacular, fast, and agile as they damn well ought to be!

(It isn't about opinion. It's about being able to perceive something I have a great passion for with my own senses. I should be able to do that without somebody else telling me that I ought to be satisfied with its current state, just because they say so.

The state of affairs shouldn't deteriorate to the point where that somebody telling me what I ought to like is the only direct sensory input I can get. It hasn't reached that point yet, but I honestly fear, if certain recent trends in circuit design continue, that such a point could be reached.)