Thread: WEC Race 2014 WEC Round 6: Shanghai
View Single Post
Old 31 Oct 2014, 01:25 (Ref:3470122)   #13
Purist
Veteran

United States
Wichita, Kansas, USA
Purist is going for a new world record!Purist is going for a new world record!Purist is going for a new world record!Purist is going for a new world record!Purist is going for a new world record!Purist is going for a new world record!
Sorry, I get a little worked up about some of that, and if another series offers an apt example of what I'm talking about, I'll use it.

I just want the sport to remain within my sensory capacities to take it in and enjoy it.

I hope Lotus gets the car ready in time. It's quite a striking machine when you see it, and that AER lump is no slouch, clearly.

The factory cars will get up to a pretty good clip on the back straight. It might not be Fuji top-end, then again, that right-hander onto it is a lot quicker than the final turn at Fuji.

(I'll humor you a bit, TF110. I like the T1-4, T7-8, and T12-13 complexes at Shanghai. Turns 9-11 and 14-16 are too angular; they pinch the racing line and inhibit the circuit's overall flow. I'd prefer if Turns 5 and 6 were of different profiles than they are, but they don't bother me all that much.

At Shanghai, the smog, coupled with the massive scale of the pit buildings and grandstands, plus the comparatively texture-less paved run-offs, is extremely disruptive to my brain's ability to extrapolate depth; I don't have the aid of vision from a second eye anymore to give me true depth perception.)

EDIT: As to the Audis at Silverstone, the gravel at Stowe stopped the #2 before it hit anything. The #1 was quite probably going faster than the #2 when it went off, and was in a place that is normally an acceleration zone. Both cars snapped on the driver; I wonder if the Quattro system was giving them trouble in the wet. The #1 was also on slicks, and on a section of track that had seen the addition of run-off with the change to the Arena GP Circuit. So, don't look at me on that one. Anyway, the #1 took a comparatively glancing blow, and was able to drive away, once situated on solid ground.

Last edited by Purist; 31 Oct 2014 at 01:46.