View Single Post
Old 2 Jan 2015, 20:19 (Ref:3489591)   #9
Icarus_nz
Racer

New Zealand
Paradise
Icarus_nz should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridIcarus_nz should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
There are a good many factors at play.

Firstly, I don't see that dilution helps at all.

Too many events, too many classes leads to compromised quality
Great for competitors and to a lesser degree, organizing clubs, but not so good for spectators.
A classic mistake seems to be at the lower levels to get (over) excited about participation and immediately think that translates into spectator interest.

I like skidding around therefore you should LOVE to pay money to watch me

This attitude blurs useful thinking about what the viewer wants.
Even as you move up the food chain, the same thinking prevails: I like this so you should pay money to watch it.

Has anyone ever surveyed public attitudes towards motorsport viewing?
Why do they come?
Is it to see cars? Is it to witness racing? Is it to meet talented individuals? Is it something to do with family or friends?

Say a day ticket is $30. Does the experience offer better value than say two movie tickets? Or a green fee?

New Zealand, in global terms (or even Australasian terms), has a tiny population. Of that population only a certain percentage are aware of motorsport, less again remotely interested and less again prepared to come and watch.

New Zealand has a lot of space for its little population and lots of stuff you can do for yourself. I don't New Zealand as a nation of spectators in the way that the Brits are, for instance.

A friend pointed out to me, why go and watch things with a motor (if that's what interests you) when you could just go and do something yourself?
Circuit racing, Rally, Drift, Speedway (in all its disciplines) Offroad vehicles, Circuit motorcycle, Enduro, Motorcross, Boat Racing, Jet Skiing - the list goes on. There are competitions for all of these. Furthermore in any weekend there are plenty of people enjoying non-competitive variants of these sports

An earlier poster suggested cost was the problem and we should follow the approach of the Ware-Whare.
Increase sales at less margin for greater net return.
In taking this approach it is necessary to know the size of the market. It seems, in NZ, with the exception of major events that the market size is static and/or falling

Cost is a red herring. It stems from the same erronous thinking - I think this is expensive therefore everybody else thinks like me.

V8SC is a model we often point to. Love them or hate them, once a year they come to town and put on a high quality show. Once a year.

Whereas every few weeks we seem to have a choice of yet another event, the equivilent of watching a game of lawn tennis. NZ Open it ain't.

Aside from the many other factors tangled up in modern living, is it any wonder people are gun shy of motorsport when for years things have been over-hyped and the actual product dismal.