View Single Post
Old 6 Mar 2015, 14:24 (Ref:3512496)   #2594
Trebor123
Rookie

Trebor123 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by bjohnsonsmith View Post
Expand the photo to its max and you can clearly see the rear wheel rim diameter is much smaller than the front wheel rim diameter. The rear tyre wall is also larger than the front.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maelochs View Post
I am not sure if the rear wheel is smaller or just appears smaller. The fact that the rear is further away, and the wheel looks smaller because the sidewall is taller, could be fooling our brains.

Also, the very top of the rear tire is slightly obscured by the fender, while the front is clear and is actually lit (again adding to the apparent size) through the fender cut-out.

Add to that, that the front wheel is more parallel to the camera, and it shows the brake disc, which, because it is light draws the eye, heightens contrast, and could also be creating an optical illusion.

I am not saying the front wheel is Not bigger, because it appears to be. I am saying the listed specs include same-diameter wheels and taller rear sidewalls, and I am not sure if I am seeing an optical illusion or a change of spec.

This photo would appear to confirm that the wheel rim diameters are equal. It looks like it is taken with a wideangle lens but the car does not appear subject to any obvious perspective distortion. On the other hand the rolling diameter of the front and rear tyres appear similar, which is different to the expected result, if the tyre sidewalls were each 71% of the tyre width of 14" and 9", front and rear respectively.