View Single Post
Old 7 Apr 2015, 16:36 (Ref:3524750)   #336
mountainstar
Veteran

United States
mountainstar should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridmountainstar should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridmountainstar should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peat View Post

Motorsport as a whole is dying on it's arse. It needs all the friends it can get, so alienating women is not an option anymore.
Some segments of motorsport are dying, other parts are doing well. In the past 10 years there have been quite a few road racing tracks built in the USA, often oriented towards the country club or club scene.

There again when it comes to professional motorsport it's about entertainment and having a good time. When the good time is gone, the racing is boring and the drivers, remaining sponsors and organizing bodies are consumed with being politically correct and dull, then people like myself find other venues.

That women are seen as some sort of savior to motorsport is a fallacy. In my professional experience there are very few women passionate about motorsports in an all consuming fashion like men might have. Same with cars in general as well. Now there are some that have a casual interest but I just don't see the passion out there for it on the whole. Women are more interested in shopping and talking on the phone than sitting at a racetrack in the mud or rain watching cars go by or sitting in a garage rebuilding an engine.

Many series including Nascar have expended a great deal of time and money going after the women market to no avail while at the same time alienating their core market. I think the world is better off accepting that there are some things men want to do and some things that women would rather do. In order to make the world equal doesn't mean that women have to inhabit everything men do and smother it.