View Single Post
Old 20 May 2015, 15:13 (Ref:3539675)   #2
Damian Baldi
Veteran

Argentina
Buenos Aires, Argentina
Damian Baldi should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridDamian Baldi should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridDamian Baldi should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roninho View Post
Hello,
every now and then i see some articles stating that multiple cars (GT cars and Daytona Prototypes for example) have modified production based engines.

What i am wondering is, how much do these race engines still resemble the Original engines? Are these just small changes or do they involve big changes? And what type of changes?

thnx
They generally keeps the block and crankshaft, but the rest is usually new. Fuel, water and oil pumps change to electric, or mechanical but lighter and more robust versions. The biggest work for development are the engine's cylinder heads, cams, valves. Most of the work is there to get more power.

Some constructors usually just develop the cylinder heads. Some examples of this are F1 Matra v12 engine from 1967/68 (using a Ferrari block), and Yamaha F1 engine from early nighties (using a Judd v10 block). They saved time using an existing block.

A reverse example is the v8 used at the TC2000 here in Argentina. It uses a british v8 engine, made from two Kawasaki Hayabusa cylinder heads. This way they saved all the work to develop the heads, just working a new block.

I have to say that I like the use of stock engines blocks, as current P2 and DP classes do.