View Single Post
Old 21 Jun 2015, 11:47 (Ref:3552687)   #75
bjohnsonsmith
Race Official
20KPINAL

United States
London, England
bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Casper View Post
To RBR it is not sport it is a business decision tool used to promote the company. To you and me traditionally it is a sport but to them it is a business. They went in feet first when BE offered them appearance money in return for a contracted period of involvement end were the first to sign up because there was money involved and it was guaranteed. I actually do not agree with all that RB have said or done but I can understand their position, Renault have not delivered on their contract. Renault have a poor history of using F1, arriving and leaving as it suits them and when things have not gone well for them. I cannot think of one team that is in F1 for the sport, there are those who started that way but none remain, the Ferraris, Williams & McLarens of this world are in this for business reasons and what they can get out of it which is a far cry from where they started from and they are all responsible for the mess F1 is in.
Well if FI for Red Bull is purely a business decision tool used to promote the company and not a sport, then ruling out or ignoring the sporting aspect, I think is a mistake on their part, after all the team is called Red Bull Racing. I very much doubt Ferrari, Williams & McLaren have completely ignored the sporting aspect.

However, if it's going to be seen purely as a business, it also has to be seen a high tech business, as that's the nature of F1 and with anything high tech, it's tricky and not everyone's going to get it right everytime.

Is Renault's history that chequered? They started in F1 1977 and first quit as a constructor at the end of 1985 but continued supplying engines to other teams, something they had done since '83. Apart from a hiatus, 1986 -'89 and another from 1997 - 2000, a total of six years, they've been around for sometime.