View Single Post
Old 3 Aug 2015, 08:51 (Ref:3563447)   #602
CTD
Veteran

Denmark
Aarhus, Jylland, Denmark
CTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by Akrapovic View Post
I don't feel the timing of the radio matters because such actions can only be carried out in braking zones anyway. So the radio looks worse if you lay it over just before a braking zone, where as if it had been said on the exit of turn 2, then suddenly it looks better because the move isn't executed until later. So purely by lucky placement of the cars in a lap, the move can be seen as better or worse. So if it was an order to the driver then I don't believe that it matters what time it was given, and that there should be a heavy heavy penalty.

However if what Ullrich says is true, and that his radio is not connected to the driver, then it cannot possibly be determined that this is an order, and it is just unlucky that it was caught on a radio and TV made it look like it was an order. But even if it wasn't an order, the move must've then been Timos own decision, and the disqualification should stand.

Timing is far less important than if his radio does broadcast to the drivers. And even if Ullrich is completely innocent and was unluckily caught on a radio which would've had no impact otherwise, the crime was just placed fully on Timo.
Dr. Ullrich says that his radio was open to the driver, which it usually isn't. Timo Scheider therefor gets the message, and in the heat of the moment agrees that it is the "right" thing to do.
Of course it is Scheider behind the wheel, so the penalty goes to him. But having Dr. Ullrich giving a message like that is a huge disappointment to many, and I think that this is the reason why the reaction is so strong.

Incident all starts at Turn 2, followed by the stretch down to Turn 3, so there is plenty of time for radio messages and Scheider to understand and react before the braking zone.
I see the radio message as unsporting conduct and that Dr. Ullrich should face more punishment that just a public lynching.