View Single Post
Old 6 Aug 2015, 17:20 (Ref:3564191)   #19
chillibowl
Veteran

Canada
winnipeg, canada
chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!
to be honest im not sure how i would define 'good racing' either. i feel like i know it when i see it but cant quantify it any better then that.

on topic, what exactly is the problem with a driver adjustable front wing?

the benefits are clear i would have thought...driver gets to make the choice themselves (an idea that everyone loves) so manually adjusted elements mean go flat/less drag for the straights, more downforce for the corners. its basically a variation on the DRS system that the drivers can use at will anywhere on track and for better or worse DRS has allowed cars to follow more closely for the remainder of the lap while. of course it also promotes some pretty mundane passes at the end of straights but im ignoring that part of it for this argument.

anyways i dont think the idea should be discounted due to the 2009 season. i dont think we really got to see the adjustable wing in isolation as all the focus was on double diffusers and iirc the rules regarding when and how many times a driver could employ a front wing adjustment during a lap was limited to 1 or 2 times and maximum number of degrees. potentially the benefits were erased by the race rules committee.

a good idea but perhaps one not fully realized.