View Single Post
Old 14 Aug 2002, 14:20 (Ref:357723)   #6
paul-collins
Veteran

Canada
Mosport on a good day
paul-collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridpaul-collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridpaul-collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Re: The theory that road racing requires more talent than oval racing

Quote:
Originally posted by Joe Fan
When I visit other bulletin boards, I frequently see posts from the road racing crowd who claim that road racing requires much more talent than oval racing. However, Tony Stewart won Sears Point (one of the toughest tracks on the Winston Cup circuit) in only his fifth start ever on a road course and Ryan Newman finished second today at The Glen in only his second start on a road circuit in his young career. And there were accomplished road racers in each of these events.
As far as accomplished road racers, there was Robby Gordon (who had a shot, reading previous comments) and Boris Said at the Glen. Who else?

Add Ron Fellows at Sears Point (whose car let him down). Ron was a real threat at Sears in 2001 until a bad pit stop followed by Bill Elliot putting him in the wall.

After all, somebody has to win the race. You put 41 oval racers and 2 road racers, what are the odds? Particularly in Boris' case, he would not be as familiar with the equipment as the regulars, and the hockey-puck tires they run would be massively different from what he's used to.

Actually, the tires' lack of suitability for road racing would really lend credence to the theory that dirt-trackers would be strongest running NASCAR on road courses.

Now, put all these boys in Trans-Am cars, we'd see how the road racers would do.

Last edited by paul-collins; 14 Aug 2002 at 14:21.
... Since all men live in darkness, who believes something is not a test of whether it is true or false. I have spent years trying to get people to ask simple questions: What is the evidence, and what does it mean?

-Bill James